Restoration of family links is one of the oldest and most traditional areas of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The extensive experience is primarily used for restoration of family links broken during wars and armed conflicts.
The main advantage of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, which is of particular importance for tracing, is the fact that the International Committee of the Red Cross and the National Societies of Red Cross or Red Crescent in the world, working together under the provisions of the Geneva Conventions, Additional Protocol and the Fundamental principles of the Movement, establish a worldwide network of the Red Cross Movement targeted at restoration of family links.
Tracing Service of the Ukrainian Red Cross Society was established in June 1992 and is the officially recognized service in Ukraine, which takes measures, on a free-of-charge basis, in accordance with international rules, to find out the fate of family members affected by armed conflict and other world emergencies.
Tracing is conducted through the Partner National Societies of Red Cross or Red Crescent abroad and archival institutions. Tracing Service does not have its own archive funds.
In 2018, altogether 4,180 citizens made tracing requests to the society. In response, 3,808 explanation and consultation were delivered by phone, e-mail and in person.
Overall, 696 new cases were opened, out of which 65% were associated with World War II and other armed conflicts around the world.
By the end of the year, 770 cases were closed, out of which 239 cases had a positive result. In addition, there were 1,635 cases in which the tracing process was ongoing.
By the end of 2018, the tracing service registered 873 appeals related to events in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine. Based on these appeals, 827 cases were opened. By now 630 of them have been closed, while 197 are still ongoing.
In Zakarpattia, 363 migrants, mostly from Vietnam, India and the Republic of Bangladesh, were assisted by the Red Cross in contacting family by phone.
During 2018 the tracing service received 683 appeals regarding missing persons. Altogether 127 cases were closed, with 29 of them having a positive result.
The main activities of Tracing Service of the Ukrainian Red Cross Society:
- Tracing, finding out the fate of the family members and restoration of family links:
- Tracing of people, connection with whom is lost as a result of the World War II;
- Finding out the fate of military men who were missing during the World War II or were taken captive;
* In terms of search for information on the fate of the Soviet Army soldiers, an applicant has an option to make initial search at the following websites: http://dokst.de, http://obd-memorial.ru and web portal www.krigsgraver.no (regarding the territory of Norway).
- Finding out the fate of relatives who were subject to political repression.
- Tracing and finding out the condition of graves of soldiers who died during the World War II abroad.
* In terms of search for information about the burial places of the Soviet Army soldiers who died during the World War II, an applicant has an option to make initial search at the following websites: http://dokst.de, http://obd-memorial.ru and web portal www.krigsgraver.no (regarding the territory of Norway).
- Tracing of documents confirming the stay of people in Nazi concentration camps, ghettos and forced labour outside Ukraine during the World War II.
* Plenty of the information on the victims of Nazi persecution is kept in the archives of the International Tracing Service. Web-site: International Tracing Service
- Tracing abroad of family members, links with whom are lost as a result of today’s armed conflicts, during natural and man-made disasters and as a result of current migration processes.
** For finding out about the possibilities of tracing in this direction, an applicant should, in each case, first consult the Tracing Department of the National Committee of the Ukrainian Red Cross Society.
The grounds to start investigation is a written application to the Tracing Service of the Ukrainian Red Cross Society which contains the details of the wanted person and the applicant (the full postal address of the applicant is required).
An important condition for review of the application for tracing abroad is the criteria of application acceptance by the tracing services of the partner national societies of Red Cross or Red Crescent.
Tracing of people outside Ukraine takes time, usually at least one year, depending on the national society to which the applications are sent.
Investigation procedures may be clarified at the Tracing Department of the National Committee or regional branches of the Ukrainian Red Cross Society at the place of applicant’s residence.
Ukrainian Red Cross Society
Tel. / Fax: +38 (044) 235-10-96