Disaster Risk Reduction project managerIvan Stepura
Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) opens position of Disaster Risk Reduction project manager.
Duty Station: Kyiv with frequent travels to eastern part of Ukraine.
Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) – the largest humanitarian organization in Ukraine with a hundred years’ experience that in times of armed conflict and natural disaster protects human life, prevents and alleviates suffering, and assists its public authorities in their activities in the humanitarian sphere. URCS is part of the International Movement of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent, the largest humanitarian network in the world.
The conflict in Ukraine is in its 5th year, and civilians continue to bear the brunt of the conflict. The population in conflict affected areas of Ukraine is exposed to natural hazards, conflict-related risks, and major environmental (ecological) and industrial risks. Leveraging in-country and global capacity, and based on needs and gaps identified, a Disaster Risk Management Programme within a Consortium will improve understanding of, preparedness and resilience to risks (with focus on industrial/ecological risks, as exacerbated by the conflict) in conflict-affected areas of Eastern Ukraine on Government Controlled Area (GCA).
URCS is seeking a Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) project manager based in URCS Kyiv office, with frequent travels to Lugansk and Donetsk Oblasts (CGA). The DRR project manager is in charge of the development and quality implementation, monitoring and reporting of DRR projects.
The DRR project manager is responsible for the following tasks:
Project cycle management:
- In charge of implementing the projects in the field of disaster risk management (with focus on industrial/ecological risks, as exacerbated by the conflict, and multi hazards risks)
- Ensure proper project planning, preparation and activities organisation
- Monitor programme progress including regular field-visits to eastern part of Ukraine (Donetsk and Lugansk region, GCA)
- Contribute to assessments, baseline study, participatory assessments etc. as relevant
- Support end of programme evaluations by ensuring proper design of tools and field trips for Evaluation Team
- Write project progress reports (Monthly/Quarterly/Annual) as well as Intermediary and Final reports based on Donors requirements
- In compliance with donors and URCS regulations, realize tender procedures and produce tender documentation (if required) to ensure transparent financial management for the supply of materials and services
- Define project budget forecast based on sound analysis of activity plans
- In close cooperation with Finance Staff, ensure constant budget monitoring
- Contribute to the preparation of quarterly, intermediary and final finance reports
- Provide communication materials in link with project achievements
- Manage the field team in implementation of DRR project, in CBDRM , First aid (FA) and Psychosocial support (PSS
- Ensure qualitative DRR activities design and implementation
- Consult, disseminate and monitor relevant technical guidelines and materials use
- Provide technical guidance to staff and volunteers
- Facilitate external expertise contribution from Danish Red Cross (DRC) and Austrian Red Cross (AutRC) as well as expertise from external partners
Organizational and methodology development:
- Contribute actively to Disaster Management development at National level in URCS
- Develop DRR approach in URCS through pilot project, lessons learnt and capitalization process
Coordination, information and communication
- Contribute actively to the Consortium exchanges and meetings
- Serve as URCS focal point between the DRC Ukraine office, field team, URCS HQ and branches;
- Participate to the exchange with Red Cross partners in Country on DRR, FA and PSS matters
- Support field team with communication with local authority in geographic area of DRR project implementation
- Facilitate external communication between the field team and the State Emergency Service of Ukraine, Civil protection authorities in Donetsk and Lugansk regions and national level
- University degree, preferably in the field of social science, project management, humanitarian faculty or Civil Protection related background
- At least 5 year of professional experience in humanitarian or Civil Protection related field is required
- Previous work experience as project manager for 3 years
- Good time management and organisational skills
- Integrity and honesty in dealing with confidential information
- Ability to work independently and execute tasks in a reliable and competent manner
- Strong ability to communicate with people and colleagues at different levels
- Fluency in written and oral English, Ukrainian, and Russian required
- Valid driving license (manual gears)
- Knowledge on Civil Protection, Humanitarian or development fields
- Knowledge of project management cycle, methodologies and tools
- Excellent level of computer skills MS Office, Word and Excel
- Knowledge of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is a strong asset
Please submit your CV in English, with the desired salary level, along with your motivation letter in English by 21.11.2019 at email@example.com
Only candidates meeting the abovementioned criteria will be considered and contacted for tests and interviews.