Disaster Risk Reduction Field officerIvan Stepura
Position: Disaster Risk Reduction Field officer (3 positions)
Duty Station: 2 DRR filed officers will be based in Slavyansk, 1 DRR field officer in Mariupol
Start date: August,1, 2019
Assignment: Initial 11-month contract with possibility for extension
Deadline: July 20, COB Kyiv time
Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) – the largest humanitarian organization in Ukraine with a hundred years’ experience that in times of armed conflict and natural disaster protects human life, prevents and alleviates suffering, and assists its public authorities in their activities in the humanitarian sphere. URCS is part of the International Movement of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent, the largest humanitarian network in the world.
The conflict in Ukraine is in its 5th year, and civilians continue to bear the brunt of the conflict. The population in conflict affected areas of Ukraine is exposed to natural hazards, conflict-related risks, and major environmental (ecological) and industrial risks. Leveraging in-country and global capacity, and based on needs and gaps identified, a Disaster Risk Management Programme will improve understanding of, preparedness and resilience to risks (with focus on industrial/ecological risks, as exacerbated by the conflict and multi hazards risks) in conflict-affected areas of Eastern Ukraine on Government Controlled Area (GCA).
The Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Field Officer (FO) will be the operational and technical backstop for DRR project, implemented in Luhanska and Donetska oblasts of Ukraine at regional (oblast) level. He/she will supervise the field staff, as USRC volunteers / local activists and ensure consistent and appropriate implementation of the DRR project aimed to improve understanding of, preparedness and resilience to industrial/ecological and multi hazards risks (incl. as exacerbated by the conflict) in conflict-affected areas of Eastern Ukraine (GCA only). S/he will ensure that all activities at the field level are carried out in accordance with the Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) rules and procedures as well as donors’ requirements.
- Tasks and responsibilities
The DRR Field Officer (FO) will be responsible for the following tasks:
Field Officer (oblast level):
- Under direction of the DRR Field Coordinator (FC) in charge of implementing the projects in the field of disaster risk management (with focus on industrial/ecological risks, multi hazard risks as exacerbated by the conflict);
- Ensure proper operational planning, preparation of activities, such as organisation of trainings and exercises for the local communities in collaboration with the regional USRC branches and government bodies;
- Set up and manage specific mechanisms to monitor and evaluate the DRR project activities, as well as to collect feedbacks from beneficiaries and target population at large;
- Supervise volunteers/activists during the DRR trainings and exercises, conduct post training evaluation and assessment;
- Contribute to preparing the project narrative reports with specific reference to the DRR, FA and PSS activities, according to URCS and donors’ requirements;
- Contribute to the preparation of quarterly and final finance / progress reports;
- Define budget forecast (field level) based on sound analysis of activity plans;
- Provide communication materials in link with project achievements as required;
- Respectively apply to all security regulations and procedures, and monitor the implementation of regulations and protocols by the URCS volunteers / activists as well as participants of the DRR projects-related trainings and exercises;
- Keep record of material assets, including fuel consumption, furniture, stationary, etc.
- Provide Community / Family level DRR preparedness sessions to local communities
- Ensure qualitative DRR activities design and implementation
- Consult, disseminate and monitor relevant guidelines and materials use
- Provide technical guidance to volunteers / activists, population (beneficiaries)
- Conduct DRR preparedness sessions/exercises/trainings as required;
- Adopt and facilitate an external expertise provided by Danish Red Cross (DRC) and Austrian Red Cross (AutRC) as well as expertise from other partners / stakeholders if needed.
- Knowledge on Civil Protection, Humanitarian or development fields
- Knowledge of project coordination methodologies and tools
- Knowledge of security regulations and procedures
- Good level of written and spoken English
- Good level of computer skills MS Office, Word and Excel
- Knowledge of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is a strong asset
- Advanced degree, preferably in the field of social science, project coordination/management, humanitarian faculty or Civil Protection related background
- At least 2-3 year of professional experience in humanitarian or Civil Protection related field is required
- Good time management and organisational skills
- Integrity and honesty in dealing with confidential information
- Ability to work independently and execute tasks in a reliable and competent manner
- Strong ability to communicate with people and colleagues at different levels
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English, Ukrainian and Russian
- Valid driving license (manual gears, 4 WD)
Please submit your CV in English, with the desired salary level, along with your motivation letter in English by 20.07.2019 at email@example.com.
Only candidates meeting the abovementioned criteria will be considered and contacted for tests and interviews.