Disaster Risk Reduction Field CoordinatorIvan Stepura
Duty Station: Slavyansk with frequent travels to eastern part of Ukraine
Start date: August,1, 2019
Assignment: Initial 15 month contract with possibility for extension
Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) – the largest humanitarian organization in Ukraine with a hundred years’ experience that in times of armed conflict and natural disaster protects human life, prevents and alleviates suffering, and assists its public authorities in their activities in the humanitarian sphere. URCS is part of the International Movement of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent, the largest humanitarian network in the world.
The conflict in Ukraine is in its 5th year, and civilians continue to bear the brunt of the conflict. The population in conflict affected areas of Ukraine is exposed to natural hazards, conflict-related risks, and major environmental (ecological) and industrial risks. Leveraging in-country and global capacity, and based on needs and gaps identified, a Disaster Risk Management Programme will improve understanding of, preparedness and resilience to risks (with focus on industrial/ecological risks, as exacerbated by the conflict and multi hazards risks) in conflict-affected areas of Eastern Ukraine on Government Controlled Area (GCA).
The Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Field Coordinator will be the operational and technical backstop for DRR project, implemented in Luhanska and Donetska oblasts of Ukraine. He/she will supervise the overall field project team and ensure effective implementation of the DRR projects aimed to improve understanding of, preparedness and resilience to industrial/ecological risks (incl. as exacerbated by the conflict and multi hazards risks) in conflict-affected areas of Eastern Ukraine (government controlled area only). S/he ensures that all activities at the field level are carried out in accordance with the Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) rules and procedures as well as donors’ requirements.
2. Tasks and responsibilities
The DRR Field Coordinator (FC) will be responsible for the following tasks:
Project coordination (field level):
- In charge of implementing the projects in the field of disaster risk management (with focus on industrial/ecological risks, as exacerbated by the conflict, and multi hazards risks)
- Ensure proper operational planning, preparation and activities organisation
- Contribute to assessments, baseline study, participatory assessments etc. as relevant
- In compliance with donors and URCS regulations, contribute to tender procedures and produce tender documentation (if required) to ensure transparent financial management for the supply of materials and services
- Support the DRR Project Manager in preparing, managing and regularly updating the activities work plans for DRR project, ensuring timely and quality implementation in compliance with the defined project strategy, as well as donors’ guidelines
- Under direction of the DRR Project Manager, elaborate and set up specific mechanisms to monitor and evaluate the DRR project activities, as well as to collect feedback and complaints from beneficiaries and target populations at large
- Monitor programme progress including regular field-visits to eastern part of Ukraine (Donetsk and Lugansk region, GCA)
- Contribute to preparing the project narrative reports with specific reference to the DRR, FA and PSS activities, according to URCS and donors’ requirements.
- In close cooperation with Finance Staff, ensure constant budget monitoring
- Contribute to the preparation of quarterly and final finance reports
- Define project budget forecast (field level) based on sound analysis of activity plans
- Ensure compliance of field procurement and financial procedures according to donor’s regulations
- Provide communication materials in link with project achievements
- Be responsible for security, providing the definition of specific procedures and behaviors, and monitoring the implementation of regulations and protocols in line with International Committee of the Red Cross and URCS Security rules
- Keep record of material assets, including fuel consumption, stationary, etc.
- Ensure qualitative DRR activities design and implementation
- Consult, disseminate and monitor relevant guidelines and materials use
- Provide technical guidance to field staff and volunteers
- Facilitate external expertise contribution from Danish Red Cross (DRC) and Austrian Red Cross (AutRC) as well as expertise from external partners
Organizational and methodology development:
- Manage the field team in implementation of DRR project, in CBDRM, First aid (FA) and Psychosocial support (PSS) at field level
- Contribute to development of security regulations for DRR field team as for URCS volunteers
- Contribute to adaptation and engagement of monitoring and evaluation tools based on donor’s standards.
- Contribute actively to DRR approach development at regional level
Coordination, information and communication
- Contribute actively to the Consortium meetings for project implementation and technical issues
- Participate to the exchange with Red Cross partners in Country on DRR, FA and PSS matters,
- Facilitate external communication and collaboration between the field team and government bodies as the State Emergency Service of Ukraine, Civil protection authorities in Donetsk and Lugansk regions at regional level
- Knowledge on Civil Protection, Humanitarian or development fields
- Knowledge of project coordination methodologies and tools
- Knowledge of security regulations and procedures
- Good level of written and spoken English
- Good level of computer skills MS Office, Word and Excel
- Knowledge of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is a strong asset
- Advanced degree, preferably in the field of social science, project coordination/management, humanitarian faculty or Civil Protection related background
- At least 5 year of professional experience in humanitarian or Civil Protection related field is required
- Previous work experience as a processes supervisor/coordinator for 3 years
- Good time management and organisational skills
- Integrity and honesty in dealing with confidential information
- Ability to work independently and execute tasks in a reliable and competent manner
- Strong ability to communicate with people and colleagues at different levels
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian, and Russian required
- Valid driving license (manual gears, 4 WD)
Please submit your CV in English, with the desired salary level, along with your motivation letter in English by 20.07.2019 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only candidates meeting the abovementioned criteria will be considered and contacted for tests and interviews.