National Coordinator for International Humanitarian LawMaria Yeremenko
Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) opens position of National Coordinator for International Humanitarian Law.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Continue collaboration with MinDef, MinEdu, MinJus, MinInterior, MinHealth as well as Intergovernmental commission on the following issues as promotion of IHL, increase IHL activity in study sessions with targeted Ministries, discuss and plan with MinEdu the point of renewing IHL teaching in schools as well as updating a study methodology, especially in the eastern part of Ukraine.
- Promotion of seven Fundamental Principles and IHL, special attention to eastern part of Ukraine.
- Protection of Red Cross Emblem.
- Develop content for an IHL professional course and presentation materials according to specific needs or target audiences (URCS staff, Heads of regional branches, youth leader, undergraduate students, law students, members of the public, lawyers).
- Train and maintain a roster of URCS staff / regional branches to deliver the IHL professional course to targeted audiences.
- Develop supplemental materials for IHL teaching sessions, presentations, and other events.
- Develop and foster networks for possible partnerships with actors within legal community and external audiences (law schools, faculties, professional associations, etc.) – for discussing current relevant issues.
- Organize briefings/conferences on IHL-related issues and provide updates of key points to Ukrainian Red Cross Society and Head of regional branches as well as youth leader (volunteers)
- Track and identify current events of relevance to IHL and prepare updates on developments in IHL.
- Draft speaking points, backgrounders, potential presentation material to support our IHL networks
- Conduct research on IHL and policy-related areas and draft memoranda on relevant issues of IHL as needed for the program development – e.g., Draft Law on Mine Action, Arms Trade Treaty, and Convention on Cluster Munition.
- Assist with content and messaging for social media tools.
- Knowledge on Humanitarian, development and social fields
- excellent knowledge of international humanitarian law
- Excellent level of written and spoken English
- Excellent level of computer skills MS Office, Word and Excel
- Knowledge of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is a strong asset.
- University degree, preferably in the field of Humanitarian Law, international relations
- At least 1 year of professional experience in humanitarian or development organization is required
- Work experience in international context is an asset
- Good time management and organisational skills
- Ability to work independently and execute tasks in a reliable and competent manner.
Please submit your CV in English, along with your motivation letter in English by 01.04.2018 on firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the large number of requests, we are contacting candidates who fully meet the requirements of the vacancy.